Lettuce wraps are pretty much the quintessential summer meal–easy, light, and super fresh. These Hoisin Tempeh Lettuce wraps are filled with crumbled tempeh, fresh herbs, and mango to make a sweet-and-savory dinner that comes together in minutes.
My almost 3-year-old has become increasingly picky in the past year, so whenever I make a recipe she loves, it feels like a victory. And these wraps were devoured in record time–halleloo! I’ve found that wraps, tostadas, pizzas and anything else where she can assemble her own food on her plate are always a good bet. I mean, even as an adult, I like lettuce wraps for the same reason!
I tend to make lettuce wraps as a meal just because I don’t really have occasion to make them as an appetizer. But if you’re looking for a summery vegan app for a party, this is it! And the tempeh filling is just as delicious cold, so you can pack these up into a bento box for lunch too.
Side note: If you love P.F. Chang’s vegetarian lettuce wraps, you can substitute the tempeh with a mixture of mushrooms, tofu, and water chestnuts–coarsely chop it all in your food processor and then follow the rest of the recipe as written.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Hoisin Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
Yield 4 servings
Whether you serve them as an appetizer or a light meal, these tempeh lettuce wraps are sure to be a hit.
- 1 tablespoon coconut or avocado oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 8 bibb or butter lettuce leaves
- Sweet chili sauce and/or sriracha, for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tempeh and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the hoisin sauce and lime juice; remove from heat.
- Divide the tempeh, mango, cucumber, cashews and herbs into the lettuce leaves. Drizzle with sweet chili sauce or sriracha and serve.
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2-3 as a meal.
Serving Size 2 wraps
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.6 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Total Carbohydrates 24 g
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
Protein 11.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.