This dip is the easiest way to get your cheesecake fix–whip up a batch and use it for dipping fresh fruit, spreading onto waffles or toast, and smearing onto cookies. Yes!
As with most vegan cheesecake recipes, the secret to this recipe is cashews. When soaked in filtered water and blended until smooth, cashews take on a creamy texture reminiscent of dairy. Because cheesecake has a little bit of a tang, we add some lemon juice. A tablespoon of coconut oil gives this vegan cheesecake dip just the right amount of richness too.
I like to keep a container of this dip in the fridge for my daughter to snack on–she especially loves it on toast or waffles with banana slices. But you can totally dress it up and make it for your next get-together too.
A swirl of raspberry or strawberry sauce, chopped dark chocolate, or even a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel will transform an everyday spread into something worthy of a party. Serve it alongside a tray of fruit and cookies for dipping as a light dessert option.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Dip
A cashew-based dip and spread that tastes just like cheesecake - but healthier!
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 3 hours and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- For garnish: Extra dark chocolate a swirl of strawberry or raspberry sauce, a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce, and/or chopped nuts
- For serving: Fresh fruit graham crackers, biscotti, and wafer cookies for dipping; toast, waffles and fresh fruit if you're using as a spread
Combine the cashews, water, lemon juice, coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, cinnamon and salt in the small bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and add more maple syrup if desired, then stir in the chopped dark chocolate.
Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and garnish. Serve with fruit and other dippers or use as a spread for toast and waffles.